Approved Online Concussion Education Courses
The following free online training courses have been approved by the Ohio Department of Health for coaches and officials:
National Federation of State High School Associations Concussion in Sports – What you Need to Know: http://www.nfhslearn.com/electiveDetail.aspx?courseID=38000
(This free online course is available through the NFHS. Click the “order here” button and complete a registration form to take the course. Follow these steps to complete the course:
1. Click on the button that says “Please Login to Order.” In the window that appears, click “Register Now.”
2. When your registration is complete, you may “order” the free concussion course offered along the left-hand side of the page. Continue following prompts. Although it may look like you will be charged for the course, there is no cost.
3. Once you’ve completed “Checkout,” you will be able to take the free online course.
4. When you have completed and passed the course, you have the option of printing a certificate of completion.
5. All Ohio Coaches and Officials should select this option to print, retain a copy of the certificate and carry it with them to all contests.
6. The certification for concussion training will expire three years from the date of completion.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Heads Up Concussion in Youth Sports On-Line Training Program: http://www.cdc.gov/concussion/HeadsUp/online_training.html
PLEASE NOTE: Both courses offer a “certificate of completion” upon successful passage. The NFHS course allows organizations to search for and track coaches and other individuals such as contest officials who have completed the course, while the CDC course does not.